World Environment Day 2021
World Environment Day is a fantastic opportunity to devote time and effort to important environmental issues. Celebrate on the 5th of June with your young English language leaners using activities from Ladybird Readers BBC Earth books.
This year, the theme for World Environment Day is:
Reimagine. Recreate. Restore.
Use this theme to explore two different ecosystems and inspire students to get active with ecosystem restoration.
1) Forest vocabulary. Introduce vocabulary associated with forests using these downloadable flashcards.
2) Forests of the world. Using the map below, introduce the different types of forests and discuss where they are located.
3) Questions about forests. Use these questions to consider why forests are important and what we can do to restore them.
4) Forests video. Sign in to the website to watch the BBC Earth: Forests video with your young learners.
1) Mountain vocabulary. Introduce vocabulary associated with forests using these downloadable flashcards.
3) True or False. Use these statements to discuss the problems mountains are facing and what we can do to help.
4) Mountains video. Sign in to the website to watch the BBC Earth: Mountains video with your learners.
What else can you do to celebrate World Environment Day?
You can visit the World Environment Day website for many more ideas and discussion points. You can also download the Ecosystem Restoration Playbook to help identify opportunities in your area and find partners and support. It will also show you how to relieve the pressure on ecosystems by changing what you do and what you buy, and by encouraging everyone to get serious about sustainability.